Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Kartoffelpuffer, Spaghetti Ice, and Rammstein

The last post, being over 2 weeks ago, seems like the distant past; I have been through so much since then, and have rarely had the time (or perhaps the proper state of mind) to do any writing. Among my experiences were: being treated by complete strangers to a 5 hour umpteen course meal at a fancy restaurant in Milan (while still smelling like the Romanian metro), traveling across Italy and Switzerland with my step-dad's band in a double-decker tour bus with tinted windows, seeing an incredible jazz show, and making a new dear friend with whom I made delicious food and explored Zürich. Finally, last week, I got myself to Scheeßel, Germany, where I could stop, get some much needed rest, and take multiple showers.

Scheeßel (not Schneedel, which is what a German boy calls his penis; and not Schnabel, which is the mouth of a bird) is a beautiful little town an hour or so outside of Hamburg, with sweet little shops, stone and brick streets, and vast corn fields on the outskirts with wide mountain-free skylines. Staying with Riki and her family, all of whom are very good in the kitchen, I have been exposed to lots of new and beautiful food. Kartoffelpuffer, which is surprisingly similar to a Latke (they even serve it with apple sauce!)--but the potato is mashed more finely instead of shredded and the cake is thinner and softer--was something that was introduced to me as "very German." Other things, (like "spaghetti ice" and the metal band, "Rammstein"), which were supposed to be very widely known, were completely new to me. I was taken to a Rammstein cover band show a few days ago, and I was the only one there who didn't know all of the songs. There was a fireworks show afterward, though, which was nice considering my quiet 4th of July on that small Greek island.

But now, after a somewhat event-filled week, the family is gone, and Riki and I are here at the house alone. The next week or so I'll spend playing piano, swimming, riding bikes, watching movies, making food, reading, writing, and sleeping full nights. It shouldn't be too challenging.

No comments: